RE: AI hardware was 'Singularity Realism'

From: Peter Voss (peter@optimal.org)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 16:22:50 MST

Keith,

I agree with Ben's comments on hardware capability. I personally do not see
hardware as a show-stopper (even at this stage, and certainly not within
5-10 years) -- however, I assume that some specialized designs will be
needed (eg. FPGA).

>....But I don't think anyone right now has a clear idea of what it would
take
to build an AI by other means than a simulation of a human brain.

I think that Ben & I (and some others) can make a reasonable case that we do
have a fairly clear idea: http://adaptiveai.com/research/index.htm

Directly engineering human-level AI cognitive ability will require
substantially less computing power than reverse-engineering the brain or
uploading.

Best,

Peter