Re: AI hardware was 'Singularity Realism'

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 07 2004 - 23:44:48 MST

"Keith Henson" <hkhenson@rogers.com> wrote:
Is there a pointer you could suggest where there is a
simple explanation of generating intelligence? I am
seriously interested in this, among other reasons
because I make the case that humans have (evolved,
gene constructed) psychological traits that sabotage
intelligence in certain situations.

Keith, in reference to "psychological traits that sabotage
intelligence in certain situations", have you read "Metaphors We Live By"?

It highlights how the metaphorical concepts we use to interpret the world
both illuminate and hide aspects of the reality being modelled. The
illuminative effect of a metaphor is great for human communication and
widely acknowledged as being a good thing. The hiding effects are much less
acknowledged, and they lead us to have noticable gaps in our cognitive
models, sabotaging intelligence in numerous situations.

Michael Roy Ames