A branch point

From: Philip Sutton (Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 22:11:34 MST

While writing my last message I had a thought.

Human society, at least on the Earth, will be the source of the first self-
improving AGI.......

But human society already has many and perhaps soon will have many
more AGI development projects......

And human society moves more slowly than what will be possible for a
self-improving AGI.

So, everything else being equal, the first 'AGI to reach awareness of
human society' will realise that the continued existence of human
society will (due to inertia if nothing else) lead in time to the creation of
more AGIs either from the same group that created the first 'AGI to
reach awareness of human society' or from other groups .

Maybe the attitude that the first 'AGI to reach awareness of human
society' has to humanity will be shaped more by its feelings about
sharing the universe with *other AGIs* than it will be related to how it
feels about continuing to share a bit of local space with humans.

For the sake of humanity's continued survival I think it will be important
that the first AGIs are structured/brought up to be social in nature - ie.
looking forward to the company of other AGIs [and humans and other
sentients - should there be any elsewhere in the universe(s)]. Otherwise
if an actively *anti-social* AGI emerges early on it might try to make it's
future more agreeable by 'taking out' not only any other AGIs in
development but also the source of the AGIs ie. humans.

Cheers, Philip