Re: Singularity Institute volunteer meeting this Sunday @ 7 PM EST

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 22:59:05 MST

On Mar 25, 2004, at 10:00 AM, Yan King Yin wrote:

> I think we should stop using language such as 'waking
> people up' to the Singularity. Eliezer, or anyone else
> here, has not figured out how to create FAI. I have no
> problem with FAI per se, but I find it unacceptable
> that many on this list:

You are welcome to your opinion. Now what? Does no one knowing fully
how to create FAI mean that we should not seek to acquaint people with
Singularity? How so?

> 1. Claim that FAI is feasible without qualifications
> and without detailing how it could be done;

What do you mean by "detail"? How much detail? This is a very complex
project and its is just the beginning. Why would you expect to be able
to fully detail a project of this ultimate complexity so early?
Claims of feasibility may not require as much detail as you want to be
reasonable claims.

> 2. Steadfastly avoid any political discussions that
> are obviously relevant to establishing a scientific
> theory of (general) morality.

Hmm. I'm lost. Political discussions are relevant to a scientific
theory of morality? Please explain.

> Be honest. There is no evidence that lying to people
> makes it better for them. Can you cite some examples?

Is there evidence that insulting people, many of whom you very
obviously do no understand or understand their work, works for you?

- samantha