RE: Glia and cognition

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 15:43:52 MST

> Very cool Kevin! -- I've read the article now. Inter-glial
> communication: funky! The glial communication network may be
> able to listen in on the neural network, communicate about
> what it hears, and then respond back to the neural network in turn.

I recall that in my speculative model of neurocognition, Hebbian Logic,

http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2003/HebbianLogic03.htm

I hypothesized a kind of reinforcement learning mechanism operating at
the level of *neuronal cluster* rather than individual neurons. I
called this "semi-local learning." Hypothetically, this newly
discovered glial communication network could play a role of enabling
semi-local learning vaguely similar to what I hypothesized in my paper.

-- Ben G