RE: Glia

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 08:27:01 MST

In past reading about how the brain works, there
have been two time scales discussed. One is the time
scale of synapse firing and neural circuits involved
in processing, say vision and hearing. This ranges
from milliseconds to a second or so and uses the
existing wiring in the brain.

The longer time scale, from minutes to years, is
where the re-wiring of the brain takes place. How
this occurs in response to experience has been
fuzzy in the past. The involvement of glia in
this process sheds some light, but I think we have
a lot more to learn.

The relevance to AI would be design of neural
network type models where some nodes pass fast
signals (neuronlike), and others only 'influence'
connection formation and strength and pass slow
signals (glialike).

Daniel