Re: Psychedelic experience and the Singularity [was : De-Anthropomorphizing SL3 to SL4.]

From: Lorenzo Hagerty (hagerty@matrixmasters.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 13:29:28 MST

At 09:10 AM 3/15/04 -0500, Ben G wrote:
>McKenna's thinking is full
>of this kind of confusion between the symbol and the signified ... Which
>is very reminiscent of the shamanic traditions that he so respected ...
>And probably occurred because he took psychedelics pretty much every
>day, rather than letting himself get back to "consensus reality" and
>reintegrate his insights into a coherent mind-state and world-view...

While I agree with much of what Ben says about psychedelics, I do believe
it is important to point out the fact that Terence was very clear about the
fact that during the last several years of his life his psychedelic
experiences were few and far between .... unless, of course, you count
cannabis as a psychedelic.

Lorenzo

"A mirror image of the psychedelic experience has emerged in the integrated
hardware and software comprising computer networks."
-- Terence McKenna (from "Psychedelic Society" originally written in 1984)