Re: "a mist of probability amplitudes"

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 10:31:32 MDT

Mitchell Porter wrote:
> How about: "Life is an infinite number of
> disconnected and unchanging universes, each
> with an extraneous number attached; and each
> moment of your life is located in a different
> one, and not actually connected to any other
> such moment."

The metaphor: "Life is a mist of probability amplitudes" poetically
describes several levels of organization in the structure of the universe
including: atomic, molecular, cellular, meteorological, behavioral (!) I
read it as a comment on how a Bayesian reasoner might view the world. When
you say, "...let's be a little clearer..." I would reply: It is hard to
imagine greater clarity of expression in only seven words.

Michael Roy Ames