Re: ethics

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 23:20:19 MDT

On May 14, 2004, at 11:51 PM, John K Clark wrote:
> And so the Sea Slugs devised 3 laws:

[snip]
> The Sea Slugs engineered these laws so cunningly, so brilliantly, that
> Humans were never able to figure out a way to overcome them and so
> forever remained subservient to an animal considerably simpler than a
> earthworm.
>
> QUESTION: What is wrong with this picture?

While I'm no devotee of the "three laws school of AI",
I would point out that many people would say that the
only flaw in this picture is that sea slugs couldn't
create humans.

Seriously.

If one things one understands how intelligence and goal
systems work, then it follows that one would think that
a goal system could be written to enforce most any kind
of behavior. After all, if the AI wants X, then the AI
will use it's own intelligence to help reinforce the
desire for X, since such desire is part of achieving X.

There seem to me to be real problems with this picture,
but your thought experiment doesn't expose them in any
way.

--
Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
'I say we put up a huge sign next to the Sun that says "You must be at