Re: Dangers of human self-modification

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 17:45:24 MDT

--- Michael Roy Ames <michaelroyames@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thomas Buckner,
>
> You wrote,
> >
> > The Zen Buddhists say that the moment of waking,
> > when you are not quite sure who or where you
> > are, is when you are least habitual, closest to
> > enlightenment.
> >

> Upon waking I have always been quite sure who I am.
> Perhaps others have a
> different experience? As to where I am, I don't see
> as that makes any
> difference to any aspect of identity continuation.
>
> Michael Roy Ames

Please reread the post: the MOMENT of waking, a very
small slice of time. Maybe you're back in your ego a
tenth of a second later, maybe a twentieth of a second
(it's a bit like a reboot). The point of the aphorism
IMHO is that the human consciousness is closest to a
clean slate at that moment. A good book on Zen is The
Empty Mirror by Janwillem van de Wetering. The
infamous Zen methodology revolves around learning not
to take one's thought processes for granted. At the
moment of waking, you take very little for granted.

=====