RE: Volitional Morality and Action Judgement

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 17:58:22 MDT

At 02:54 AM 25/05/04 +1000, Philip wrote:

snip

>Serbia and several other places. The US spent $1000m bombing the
>shit out of Serbia (which given what the Serbian military had done to
>their neighbours and to the local muslim population might have only
>seemed fair). But the investment failed to dislodge the Milosovic and
>alienatd many people. Then some parties in the US and Europe put
>about $15m into supporting a nonviolent movement and the dictator
>was gone in 1 year.

Along this line, it is not all that well known, but the Germans are thought
to have given Lenin an amount of gold equal to a few hundred million in
current dollars and sent him into Russia on a special train. ("The Sealed
Train?") It worked to get Russia out of the war. A reform version of Islam
would be worth supporting if there is such a thing.

>My reason about rabbitting on about all this is that when sensible ideas
>are applied to the change process, humans can achieve a lot more
>than many of us expect. A bit more investment of time and money in
>these human development directions would yield great dividends. And
>modest-level AGIs might be able to help with these directions.

Even a better understanding/modeling of what causes human behavior might
help a lot.

>Doing that might actualy improve the prospects of creating friendly
>AGI.

True. Keith