Re: Volitional Morality and Action Judgement

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 01:27:23 MDT

On May 26, 2004, at 9:41 PM, Marc Geddes wrote:
> Well I do have some reasons for my claims, but it's
> mainly just intuition at this point ;)
>
> There's too much cockiness from Eliezer.

Heh. This from someone who makes assertions from intuition? It sounds
just a wee bit hypocritical.

> You should be aware that many times in the past when
> my intuition has come up against the hypothesis of
> ultra-smart genuies (which I have taken to calling
> 'aca-dummies') , the hypothesis of the ultra-smart
> genuies always without fail ended up falsified. In a
> one-on-one contest between my intution and the
> thoughts of people like Eliezer and Ben, I bet on my
> intuition. I'm confident that my intution will crush
> Eliezer and Ben, just like it did all of the other
> aca-dummmies that came up against me.

A piece of advice: Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

Maybe what you only *thought* you came up against ultra-smart geniuses.
  So maybe Ben and Eliezer are the weak sisters of the AI gang, and
hence why you bested them so skillfully. But if it was your
exceptional intuition versus the cold rational intellect of a genuine
ultra-smart genius in a Metal Cage Death Match, I'd bet on the genius
every time. Or to put it another way, if your exceptional intuition
bested someone, the moniker of "ultra-smart genius" is suspect at best.

> No one has ever seen a general intelligence that lacks
> consciousness, lacks a self node, is totally
> altruistic etc etc. Who is to say that such a thing
> is possible at all?

If all you've ever known is motorcycles, who are you to say that
airplanes are impossible based entirely on your vehicle sample
population? You better have a better reason than "my motorcycle
doesn't fly".

> My intuition keeps yelling to me
> that something is suspect here. Something is fishy
> here. Something is 'out of kilter' here. That's all
> I'm saying at the moment.

Your intuition also tells you that the world is flat, that lead paint
chips are tasty, and that everyone isn't as smart as you are. Your
intuition is lying to you. It should make you wonder what your
intuition is really trying to hide.

j. andrew rogers