RE: Consciousness and falsifiability

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 11:49:58 MDT

On Fri, 28 May 2004, "Ben Goertzel" <ben@goertzel.org> said:

>Are you saying there is no point in understanding the relationship
>between brain-dynamics (human or AI) and the reported experience of
>the mind embodied in that brain?

Actually I think how the brain is able produce that particular “reported
experience”, the noise the mouth makes, is an interesting type of
behavior. I just don’t see it proving anything about consciousness

>I don't think that "whether consciousness really exists" is a
>scientific question, I think it's a philosophical question.

I think so too, it’s not scientific, that’s why I said consciousness
theories you can neither prove nor disprove are a dime a dozen. We just
have to take it as an axiom that if something is intelligent then it’s
conscious.

John K Clark