RE: Fishy Quantum Physics

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 14:24:48 MDT

James,

There are plenty of people seeking an explanation of what kind of
simple, elegant underlying deterministic computational dynamical system
would appear, from our point of view, to be obeying probability quantum
equations.

The grandfather of this work is Feynman's work on the lattice physics
models now called "Feynman checkerboards." Ed Fredkin is one person
pursuing this kind of work, another is David Finkelstein at Georgia
Tech, another is my friend Tony Smith, who was Finkelstein's PhD
student.

My point is that there is no paradox in the notion of a deterministic
computational underlayer that, from our point of view, appears to be
obeying nondeterministic quantum equations. The challenge is making
this idea useful, and toward that end these folks have been seeking an
elegant computational underlayer giving rise emergently to "apparent
quantum indeterminism."

-- Ben G