RE: One or more FAIs??

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 07:57:33 MDT

On Sun, 30 May 2004 "Mike" <mikew12345@cox.net> said:

>It's hard enough to keep multiple databases in synch

True, that can be hard to do with the existing state of the art, but if
you’ve already mastered the vastly more difficult task of understanding
the mechanics of an AI it would be child’s play.

>Even at the speed of light, the delay involved in
>sending the data across the world, screening
>it for viruses,

Time spent screening it for viruses is irrelevant in this discussion. If
it’s important to do then everyone will have to do it and it wouldn’t
matter if they were one individual or a billion or they were one inch
away or one light year; it would just slow everything down uniformly.

>[it] still adds up to a significant delay when you're talking computer processor speeds.

The fastest signals in the human brain creep along at a top speed of
about 100 meters a second; many are slower, some much much slower
(chemical signals moving by diffusion). Light travels at 300,000,000
meters a second, 300,000 times faster than the very fastest human brain
signals. At the extreme two areas of the brain could be about a foot
apart, so if two AI’s were 300,000 feet apart, about 150 miles, they’d
have no more problem with fractured identity issues than we have, and I
expect you could go many times that distance before things got serious.

John K Clark