RE: The dangers of genuine ignorance (was: Volitional Morality and Action Judgement)

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 12:29:03 MDT

On Sun, 30 May 2004 "Pedro Machin" <breedingnitch@hotmail.com> said:

>By non-concious I mean without the ability of self-analaysis or recognition.

But how on earth can you tell if self analysis is happening in something
else or not? The explanation for the example you used before could simply
be that a rheus monkey is not smart enough to understand how a mirror
works, not that it has no concept of self; “I’m here and that image is
over there so that can’t be me, it must be another monkey” hell, if I’d
never seen a mirror before I might think the same thing.

>Maybe its a problem of terminology, is sentient more apporpriate?

No, one word is as bad as another.

John K Clark