Re: More on morality

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 09:53:44 MDT

Jef Allbright wrote:

> As in the "arrow of morality" stated earlier, if we agree that that the
> universe operates according to physical laws that can be understood (to
> an ever-increasing degree) and that the kind of "morality" that matters
> is simply the kind that works, then I would suggest that a greater
> benefit to humanity will be achieved though study and understanding of
> the principles underlying the dynamics of organizational complexity (and
> many related fields), and developing enabling technologies, in a
> bottom-up approach, to facilitate people achieving their evolving goals,
> wherever they might lead us.

I value love and laughter, and I will not give it up in favor of something
that is easier to define. The kind of morality that matters is the kind
that leads to love and laughter. This "works" stuff sounds like a
naturalistic fallacy, and implies that an ideal universe is one tiled with
tiny efficient thermodynamic systems.

Preserve the full humane pathway defined by the human starting point.
Don't settle for less. Get it all.