Re: Sentiencee [Was FAI: Collective Volition]

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 13:07:43 MDT

On Jun 3, 2004, at 12:34 PM, John K Clark wrote:
> also don’t see the point of inventing jaw breaking euphemisms like
> “recursive self-improvement”, “optimization process” or "autopotence"
> when there are already perfectly good words to convey the concept.
> Clear
> language promotes clear thought.

Actually, I think that the phrase "optimization process" is
much clearer than even "intelligence", since the latter term
tends to have much baggage embedded in it by those reading or
hearing a use of it. Using the term "optimization process"
doesn't predispose one's reader to imagine himself as the
intelligence, or otherwise anthropomorphize it. In that sense,
I think it's a far better term.

--
Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
'I say we put up a huge sign next to the Sun that says