Re: ESSAY: 'Debunking Hippy-Dippy moral philosophy'

From: Marc Geddes (marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 23:40:40 MDT

 --- Thomson Comer <remail@zombieworld.com> wrote: >
 Your assertion that your
> morality of beliefs is objectivly the truth is
> utterly equivalent to you asserting that I am a
> sinner, violating the principles of life according
> to your god.

Where did I ever make any such assertion? I wouldn't
be so arrogant as that! ;) My assertion was that SOME
form of morality is objectively the truth, not
neccesserily mine! You have failed to grasp the
objective morality postulate: if morality is objective
there is a difference between KNOWLEDGE ABOUT morality
and MORALITY ITSELF. I do not regard my knowledge
about morality as being likely to be any more accurate
than anyone else.

Your other points establish nothing. I could use the
same arguments to try to disprove the objective truth
of any branch of knowledge at all. For instance
someone could argue: 'We were entirely constructed by
a random, evolutionary proccess, our beliefs come from
our upbringing etc therefore we can't know anything
objective about mathematics: maths is all opinion.'
Of course that would be a non sequitor, just as your
arguments against objective morality are.

=====
                                      - Gen. John Stark

"The Universe...or nothing!"
                                      -H.G.Wells