Re: Volition versus decision

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 16:30:25 MDT

Mike wrote:

> Eli,
> Before you turn this superAI loose on humanity, how about letting it run
> just *your* life for maybe a few months, and see how it looks then.
> Mike W.

Please note my wild speculation, in Collective Volition, that our
collective volition will create background behaviors of apparent Nature
rather than optimizing every detail of individual lives in accordance with
individual volitions - create a world, not steer the people in it. I don't
want to live out the rest of my life as a pawn to my volition.

Though it's possible humanity's collective volition would see fit to do
something interesting to me personally, some kind of elaborately humorous
revenge, like turning my life over to my own volition for a day. Guess
I'll just need to work really hard not to piss everyone off, right?