Re: Volitional Morality and Action Judgement

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 01:04:08 MDT

On Jun 2, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
> As Anissimov points out, there are three people in SIAI right now,
> Anissimov, Emerson, and myself. I'm not the public face of SIAI.
> They are. I am SIAI's cackling mad scientist in the basement. That
> is my job function, and everyone needs to get used to the new division
> of labor. At least some other people on the programming team will
> probably be arrogant mad scientists too. Isn't it enough that we save
> the world? Do we have to be frickin' *modest* about it? Now that
> just seems unreasonable. How are we supposed to stay sane?

You are not required to be "modest" or full of sweetness and light.
But, if you intend to achieve your goals, you are required to not piss
people off who care about humanity and Singularity and would be willing
to help in whatever way they can. You are not doing well at this
critical task. You also, imnsho, tend to overestimate your own
brilliance even in fields where you don't remotely have the time to
actually fully understand or master the relevant material. You are
usually good at admitting when you have been wrong but while you are
being wrong it is damn grating to have you busy trumpeting your
brilliant insight as you proclaim your [later admitted] incorrect views
as being the one and only thing that will possibly save humanity.
Frankly, you still have some growing up to do.

- samantha