Re: FAI: Collective Volition

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 02:09:38 MDT

On Jun 5, 2004, at 1:47 AM, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> Samantha Atkins wrote:
>> On Jun 2, 2004, at 2:32 AM, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
>>>
>>> Let me toss your question back to you: What do you think a devout
>>> Christian should be said to *want*, conditional upon Christianity
>>> being false?
>> What they "should be said to want" is to learn the truth but
>> hopefully learn it in a way that allowed them to preserve or replace
>> with better alternatives everything truly helpful they got from their
>> religion. Doing the demolition of someone's believes is easy enough
>> but is only destructive. Construction is more delicate.
>
> That's what *you* want to happen to them - which, this being a
> collective volition, does count for something; but I want to know how
> I should construe *their* volition, construct it given their current
> mind-states.

What are you assuming cannot be used for the task? I answered based
on having been there (empathy). The SAI cannot be expected to have
this. But it should be possible for it to work out the implications
given a sufficient enough model of the person[s] involved. However, I
don't see how it can get to this model under your current constraints.

-s