Re: Notice of technical term: "Volition"

From: David K Duke (davidisaduke@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 14:01:44 MDT

Eliezer wrote:

> This is *not* what I want. See my answer to Samantha about the hard
> part
> of the problem as I see it. I want a transparent optimization
> process to
> return a decision that you can think of as satisficing the
> superposition of
> probable future humanities, but that actually satisfices the
> superposition
> of extrapolated upgraded superposed-spread present-day humankind.

So will the individual have a conscious, present choice in whether to
take part in this "optimization".

Lets say SingInst becomes hugely popular, and a reporter asks you about
the AI: "So what's this bibbed computer do anyway?"

You: "Well, it's going to [insert esoteric choice of words here
describing volition]"

Reporter: "Doesn't that mean it's gonna do stuff without our presently
conscious approval"

You: "Yesssssssssss!"

Reporter "Run for your lives and insurance company!"

******

Basically what I'm asking is, will it do this without my current
conscious will? Yes or no?

> --
> Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://intelligence.org/
> Research Fellow, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence

DtheD

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!