Re: Notice of technical term: "Volition"

From: Joel Pitt (extropy@paradise.net.nz)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 03:08:46 MDT

Samantha Atkins wrote:

>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 04:01:44PM -0400, David K Duke wrote:
>> Depends on your currently concious will.
>>
>> I will people to fall over and die on a regular basis; I'd desperately
>> hope that no diety, AI or otherwise, would actually *listen*.
>
> Why do you allow yourself this bit of malevolence, powerless as it
> currently is? What good does it do? Are you certain it does no harm
> to yourself? Remember, every person you ever encounter is a potential
> upload and pseudo-immortal. Do you actually find it worthwhile to keep
> an implicit worldview that denies this?

I find it helpful to allow myself this luxury. People who have caused
me pain, suffering, and replaced decent chunks of thinking time with
misery are people I would like to drop dead. Then I will be less
reminded of pain, therefore less inclined to depression and be a more
productive member of society. Unlike Robin, I do hope that if enough
will is manifested, then a diety/AI will make certain people disappear
(distinctly different to wanted them to suffer, I just want them *gone*).

Not to mention some people are just prats that have about as much
concern about a(ny) fellow human as a brick.

-Joel