Re: Visualizing muddled volitions

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 01:33:04 MDT

Samantha Atkins wrote:

> The answer below would seem to require that their is no "external
> reality" so implacable that slowing down the faster for the peaceful
> speed of the slower would not be a net loss. No guarantees there
> even if everyone does spend their time as an upload.

<speculation>
Agreed. Though I must say, I see few things implacable about the external
reality I know today. You can always send bots to switch off the stars in
our future lightcone, if they're wasting entropy. And if everyone needs to
run at a billionfold speedup lest something implacable bite, is a factor of
1.5 here or there *that* important? Maybe. No guarantees, as you say.
Still, my current guess would be: nothing implacable. Go ahead and stay in
human time until everyone uploads, even. We've been dawdling for billions
of years; another century won't hurt much incrementally.
</speculation>