Re: ESSAY: 'Debunking 'Hippy dippy moral philosophy'

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 10:25:41 MDT

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 "Keith Henson" <hkhenson@rogers.com> said:

> Subjective is what you feel inside.

I agree.

> Objective is what people can see and more or less agree about

I don’t agree. You would be very hard pressed to find a moral fact that
100% of the members of even a particular species called Homo sapiens
agree on; and even if you could that’s not good enough. By “objective” I
mean something that exists not only outside the individual but outside
the species and even life itself. I have never seen the tiniest scrap of
evidence that objective morality exists, but let me repeat, objective is
not the same as important and subjective is not the same as trivial, far
from it.

> to take extreme examples, it is moral (from the viewpoint of
> your genes) to defend your family against those who would kill them.

>From that same genetic moral viewpoint it would be moral to kill your
son and grandson to save your identical twin brother, and your daughter
is worth 2 uncles but not 3. As for me I’ll make up my own mind and if
my genes don’t like it my genes can lump it.

John K Clark