Re: The AIbox

From: Norm Wilson (web64486@programmar.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 08:45:51 MDT

Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> These usually end up going on for a lot longer than 2
> hours, and it takes at least an entire day's worth of
> energy. Unless a really hot prospect comes along (Ray
> Kurzweil, Marvin Minsky, etc.) I'm probably out of the
> business for now. Just don't have the time and energy
> for it.

Given the amount of time and energy Eliezer has to expend on these experiments, how about we sweeten the pot to make it more worthwhile? If the Gatekeeper lets Eliezer out of the box, I'm willing to match Mike's $100 contribution to SIAI (and hopefully others will offer to match it as well), under the following additional conditions:

1. There's an open discussion prior to the experiment in which we explore various arguments for and against letting the AI out of the box. It seems reasonable that a group like SIAI would have such a debate before sending the Gatekeeper off to watch the box. (I believe this has been suggested before)

2. As a group, we decide who the Gatekeeper will be.

Norm Wilson