RE: The AIbox - raising the stakes

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 08:11:57 MDT

Hi,

One problem with the AIBox challenge is that there are always going to
be tricky ways to work around the rules.

For instance the rules state:

"
Furthermore: The Gatekeeper party may resist the AI party's arguments
by any means chosen - logic, illogic, simple refusal to be convinced,
even dropping out of character - as long as the Gatekeeper party does
not actually stop talking to the AI party before the minimum time
expires.
"

This seems not to rule out a strategy such as

"No matter what the AI says, I won't read it, and will respond 'quack
quack quack' "

Certainly, if I follow this strategy, the AI won't convince me of
anything.

What's required for the experiment to be meaningful is that the
Gatekeeper should read and think about what the AI says, and enter into
a genuine interactive dialogue with the AI to try to understand the AI's
points. But these requirements aren't that easy to formalize fully. So
the experiment is really only meaningful if the Gatekeeper is genuinely
interested in entering into the spirit of the challenge.

-- Ben G

by Eliezer > <http://yudkowsky.net/essays/aibox.html>