Re: Qualia feel good?

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 22:54:04 MDT

On Jul 6, 2004, at 6:31 PM, Metaqualia wrote:
> Can you explain redness to a person who was born blind? The answer is
> no,
> you have no definition yet we all agree on what redness is.

No we do not agree on what "redness" is as it pertains to qualia. All
we agree on is that we discern different wavelengths of light
differently and that the discernment of a certain lambda will be called
"redness". In other words, we've basically done nothing more but agree
on the nomenclature for perceiving a lambda. We have not agreed that
we are having the same perception, only that a wavelength triggers A
perception of some type. Its an important distinction.

Really though, this is a pretty silly discussion and has been hashed
out pretty thoroughly at the <SL4 level. I'm not a list mod, but this
discussion hasn't exactly been SL4 material in my opinion. Using a
little thoughtfulness and critical thinking as a post filter could have
greatly reduced the traffic on this thread.

j. andrew rogers