Re: Qualia feel good?

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 12:27:31 MDT

On Jul 7, 2004, at 12:06 PM, entropy@farviolet.com wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, justin corwin wrote:

>>> I need two tools to prove your reasoning isn't sound: a gag and a
>>> baseball
>>> bat :)
>>
>> Can we try to cut down on the smirky one line replies that don't
>> really address the previous post? I pick on this one here because it's
>> particularly egregious, but it's been rather emblematic of the list of
>> late for people to snipe pickily at each other.
>
> Sometimes a simple concept loses its impact if over explained. In this
> case
> a dramatic sentence makes a point which paragraphs of text would not.
> Its
> not about logic its about feeling (qualia), what feeling does that
> sentence invoke? What does that feeling tell you about the implication
> that lack of speech implies lack of pain?

Lack of facility for thinking in ways that allow complex
communication suggests, to some of us, lack of sentience
or awareness. I recommend _The Myth of Irrationality_
for a book length argument that communication is a main
factor in the concept of self.

This isn't the same as being mute, because the structures
for such communication still exist in the brain and are
presumably still active. This is why the one-liner was
considered by some to be simply beside the point, rather
than impactful and thought-provoking.

By "some", I mean myself and anyone who agrees with me;
I'm not trying to speak for anyone else in particular.

--
Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
Property law should use #'EQ , not #'EQUAL .