Re: Long range planning is dumb

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 05:40:28 MDT

--- fudley <fuddley@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I can’t help but think plans to ensure that a super
> intelligent AI will behave in ways we want it to thousands and even
> millions of years in the future is... misplaced... I’d say right now
> 20 years is about the limit, and in
> time than number will decrease; trying now to solve problems that won’t
> become acute until after that date is a waste of time. For anyone who
> takes the ideas behind the Singularity seriously this should be obvious.
>
> John K Clark

I just saw the new issue of Popular Science; it has an interview with Arthur C. Clarke ("Religion
bad, brain-to-brain communication good.") And, more to the point, an article about the Singularity
("Is science fiction about to go blind?") They interview novelists, not so much AI researchers;
but the novelists are ex-programmers and not clueless; not much is said of dangers of UFAI;
overall I liked the article, but I'm sure others would pick it apart. At least the idea that
things can get Uberweird in only ten years or so is getting a mainstream airing.
Tom Buckner