Re: 'The Libertarian-Transhumanist Philosophical Platform'

From: Marc Geddes (marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 23:01:33 MDT

 --- Eliezer Yudkowsky <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:

> Incidentally, Geddes's statements about MWI in QM
> are wrong. MWI does not
> interact with the "everything exists" hypothesis,
> nor is MWI *in QM* a
> consequence of the "everything exists" hypothesis.

The alternative branches of MWI are a sub-set of
reality in the Tegmark model aren't they? The
equations of QM are of course mathematical. Assuming
the maths is self-consistent, assuming it applies to
our particular location in reality and assuming that
all maths exist, MWI follows. Of course MWI does not
depend on the all maths exists hypothesis. But MWI
*follows from* the all maths exists hypothesis.

I'm going to substantially re-write the 'Metaphysics'
section of my 'platform' based on people's comments.
Hopefully the next draft will be rather more logical.

> Also, Geddes, kindly do not call it "Yudkowsky's
> arrow of morality" for I
> never said such a thing.

I'll change the title of that section in the next
draft. But Collective Volition, certainly does seem
to me to *suggest* an 'arrow of morality'. Or would
you disagree with my interpretation?

> --
> Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
> http://intelligence.org/
> Research Fellow, Singularity Institute for
> Artificial Intelligence

=====
                                      - Gen. John Stark

"The Universe...or nothing!"