Re: 'The Libertarian-Transhumanist Philosophical Platform'

From: Samantha Atkins (sjatkins@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 12:01:11 MDT

It takes quite a bit of teasing out to clarify what is meant by a
statement like "the universe is a manifestation of mathematics".
IMHO, it would be more accurate to say something like that reality
interacts and manifests in ways that we can describe via mathematics -
a grasping for the "orderliness" or "algorithm-like" nature. Saying
it is a manifestation of mathematics seems to go much further than
this. One could as well say "only information exists" or as a
variant, "reality is virtual". Some very interesting arguments can
be and have been made for such, but all of the provide a shaky
foundation for a philosophical system to rest upon.

While Geddes did not call it an axiom it is the basis of his
Metaphysics so it stands in the place where one would expect an axiom.

That mathematics has empirical suitability is not really astonishing
at all. Mathematics is a formal way of stating/capturing algorithms,
relationships and regularities. It will map to any system containing
relationships and regularities. Math is the abstraction of the way
logically coherent systems work. If it did not map well to the
Universe then the Universe would be incoherent chaos. That it isn't
doesn't make it permissible to claim that such coherence itself is a
manifestation of the abstraction for expressing, capturing,
manipulating coherent algorithms and relationships..

- samantha