Re: All is number

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 21:55:37 MDT

On Aug 12, 2004, at 7:45 PM, Simon Gordon wrote:
> This goes against the grain of what i was saying.
> There are no details. The fairlytale is only described
> in words; we cannot construct a computer program if we
> dont know the math behind it, that is obvious.

The entire fairytale is reducible to the information content of the
words used to describe it. Nothing more, nothing less. A nice finite
pattern of bits for which there is an entire field of mathematics to
deal with it.

Every conceivable description of anything you can imagine in this
universe is reducible to a tidy mathematical algorithm. This includes
all notions you may have about other universes where math doesn't
apply. What you are really saying is "let's pretend math doesn't apply
to this universe so that I can imagine another universe in which math
doesn't apply", which is what this distills down to if you haven't
figured it out yet.

You can no more imagine a world where mathematics doesn't apply than
you can imagine the number pi.

j. andrew rogers