Re: Final draft of my philosophical platform now on line

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 23:42:34 MDT

At 04:15 AM 17/08/04 -0700, you wrote:

>--- Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
>wrote:
>
> > I don't know to what extent the Easter
> > Islanders would have been
> > helped by a market system, since I know little
> > about that situation.
>Their society crashed when they ran out of trees.
>There was no nearby place to get more trees, and
>no way at all to build boats. They were trapped.
>
>I see similar possibilities for technological
>society as a whole. Suppose a severe setback of
>some sort left us with only a 19th C. tech base.

The big question is how much of the population was lost in "a severe setback."

A 19th C. tech base will only support a 19th century population.

But something that wiped out 80% of the population but didn't damage the
infrastructure would let us run on nuclear power, hydro and wind for a long
time.

Keith Henson