Re: Patented Ethical AI

From: Martin Striz (metastriz@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 12:35:53 MDT

--- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal@smigrodzki.org> wrote:

> Indeed it is a bit arrogant to claim one "makes discoveries", seemingly
> without a debt to others (such as the shady entities who sequence
> genomes). We all stand on the shoulders of giants, or multitudes of lab
> worker drones, and our discoveries are merely elaborations on their
> epiphanies.

If someone should use my publications (read: discoveries) to further their own
investigations, I expect a citation, not a pay check.

We all benefit when information is shared freely.

Martin

P.S. I'm doing some QTL analysis right now, and if I find a gene of interest,
I can damn well sequence it myself. The point is that if Celera has already
done so, I would still have to pay them to clone it or otherwise work with it.
Either way, bull shit.