Re: META: Dangers of Superintelligence

From: Daniel Radetsky (daniel@radray.us)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 09:46:40 MDT

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:46:33 -0400
Eliezer Yudkowsky <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:

> Daniel Radetsky wrote:
> >
> > Eliezer:
> >
> > Could you give an example of one or two of the ways you would beat someone you
> > were much smarter than? I'm fairly skeptical at this point.
> >
> > Daniel Radetsky
>
> At tic-tac-toe? I don't think that convincing someone to let me beat them
> at tic-tac-toe is any harder than convincing someone to let me out of the
> AI Box. It would be easier, in fact, because the spirit of the tic-tac-toe
> experiment is such that I could do all sorts of things that I wouldn't do
> in an AI Box because it would contradict the spirit of the game. I could
> offer bribes, I could get the other player drunk, I could tamper with the
> Java applet we were playing, I could edit a video tape of the game and make
> everyone else think I'd won, I could tell you that you were playing X when
> you were supposed to be playing O, etc.
>
> I think this is a good example of what it looks like to be substantially
> smarter than your hapless target:
>
> http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=287
>
> --
> Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://intelligence.org/
> Research Fellow, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence

Okay, but those are all examples of cheating. Intelligence will help you cheat,
but it won't make you any better at playing tic-tac-toe \begin{pretension} qua
game \end{pretension}. I think the point that "Father John" was trying making
was that if you're actually playing tic-tac-toe (as opposed to cheating), it
doesn't matter how much smarter you are than me, if I'm smart enough. He seems
to argue that the same goes for the single-shot AI-box; that he doesn't need to
be very smart at all, just smart enough to say "I'm still not letting you out."
However, This misses the point.

Daniel Radetsky