Re: I'm ready to dance with the whirling razor blades

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 17:20:58 MDT

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> Marc Geddes wrote:
>
>>I FEEL the Bayes FLOWING through me.
>>
>>The Bayes surrounds us and flows through us, a
>>sparkling wave of infinite informational
>>probabilities, not this crude matter.
>>
>>I have a big big theory. I'm ready.
>>
>>'Use the Bayes Luke' ;)
>
> Could you please explain why this post should be appearing on SL4?

I've gotten other complaints also. Marc, please try to make posts with
more substantial content. Once upon a time so distant that it fades into
memory, I declared, as an SL4 list standard, a minimum intelligence for
posts. It's a subjective standard, but an important one. I've seen you be
coherent in the past. This doesn't qualify. Just resist the temptation to
be vacuously mysterious. If you want to be mysterious, take fatherjohn up
on his AI-Box offer and win. If you want to convince me that you know
anything about Bayes besides how to spell the word, there's around a
hundred different applications of Bayes to human rationality you could
write about - and no, those knowledges are not sufficient unto the
destruction of the world, plus I can derive them myself, so let us dispense
with that excuse. It is neither difficult nor dangerous for Bayesian
masters to exhibit their mastery. Just generate a nonobvious Bayesian
parable and start writing.