Re: The Future of Human Evolution

From: Jef Allbright (jef@jefallbright.net)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 13:07:35 MDT

Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> Sebastian Hagen wrote:
>
>> Aleksei Riikonen wrote:
>>
>>> As an agent striving to be non-eudaemonic, could you elaborate on
>>> what are the things you value? (Non-instrumentally, that is.)
>>

>> The best answer I can give is 'whatever has objective moral relevance'.
>> Unfortunately I don't know what exactly qualifies for that, so currently
>> the active subgoal is to get more intelligence applied to the task of
>> finding out. Should there be in fact nothing with objective moral
>> relevance, what I do is per definition morally irrelevant, so I don't
>> have to consider this possibility in calculating the expected utility of
>> my actions.
>> This rationale has been copied from
>> <http://yudkowsky.net/tmol-faq/logic.html#meaning>, but (since I haven't
>> found anything that appears to be better) it does represent my current
>> opinion on the matter.
>

> TMOL is superceded by CFAI which in turn is superceded by
> http://sl4.org/wiki/DialogueOnFriendliness and
> http://sl4.org/wiki/CollectiveVolition.

Which will likely be superseded by something along the lines of
"Rational Actualization".

Eliezer, your current stumbling blocks involve (1) extrapolation fails
to predict the future environment, including our own place in it, due to
combinatorial explosion, cumulative error, and fundamentally bounded
knowledge; and (2) while humanity is the standard by which we judge
morality, this is encompassed by the bigger picture "morality" which is
simply that what works, survives and grows.

The next step in the journey will indeed involve the increasing
awareness of the multi-vectored "collective volition" of humanity, but
in the context of what works, focusing on effective principles to
actualize our collective vision and drive toward an inherently
unknowable future.

While humanity is the measure of our morality, current humanity is only
a milepost along the way, and our current values will be seen as
rational only within their limited context, not to be applied outside
that context due to their limitations. And we can't successfully
extrapolate from limited data if we want solutions that apply to a
larger context.

We can influence the direction, but not the destination of our path
according to our "moral" choices. We can do this by applying increasing
awareness of ourselves, our environment, and the principles that
describe growth, but it's open-ended, not something amenable to
extrapolation and control.

Why is this important? Because we can significantly improve the quality
of the journey by preparing the right tools now.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net