Re: The Future of Human Evolution

From: Maru (marudubshinki@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 16:38:56 MDT

What is so bad about interstellar FTL travel? If the travel is instantaneous, then any Autonomous Zone is doomed sure, but if the speed is simply a multiple of C (ignoring time travel aspects) then you simply need to go farther out to escape centralized control. And if you want to avoid that 'string of immortal zombies', simply start a Far Edge party that never meets!
~Maru

Keith Henson <hkhenson@rogers.com> wrote:
But given nanotech to keep you in good repair even a fraction of c will get
you a long ways.

A problem with the current situation is that there isn't anyplace where you
can escape the unwanted attention of a government, especially one acting
for a cult. Going interstellar and *not* having FTL travel restores what I
have come to see as a desirable feature--though I could be wrong. It is
possible that people like me would have a string of immortal zombies sent
after them!

Keith Henson