Re: [agi] A difficulty with AI reflectivity

From: Jeff Medina (analyticphilosophy@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 14:04:34 MDT

Eliezer said: "Thank you for your suggested reading, but I'm already
quite extremely aware
that no consistent formal system can prove its own consistency. If you're
not clear on why this presents a unique challenge for reflective theorem
provers, I recommend John Harrison's "Metatheory and Reflection in Theorem
Proving: A Survey and Critique." "

I neither suggested any readings, nor made mention of the fact that no
consistent formal system can prove its own consistency (which is such
a fundamental and widely known result, I take that it goes without
saying on such a mailing list). Perhaps the flurry of replies resulted
in my name being included in a reply intended for a different
commenter. If not, I'm baffled as to how any of what you've said
applies to my recent message.