Re: Why I donate to the SIAI

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 12:22:17 MDT

Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> This is completely unsolicited. For the record, I find Eliezer's
> apparent confusion over people not donating truly bizarre, but then
> I haven't been following the thread. This is pretty rambling. If
> you want to skip to the punch line, look for the numbered points.

Neat timing, Robin... but then you'd be wiser in the way of comfortable
togetherness than most us folks.

I'm not surprised in the Bayesian sense of surprise, i.e., encountering an
event which I assigned a low probability. However, there has to be some
way of pointing out an event which you expected but which begs explanation
for why you expected it. I've been careful to call it a "puzzle", rather
than saying I was puzzled by it.