RE: Why SIAI is a nonprofit

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 21:53:47 MDT

> If you start a company, it's your life. You don't do it on the way to
> something else.

Jeff Hawkins did. He founded Palm and Handspring, and is now using the
proceeds to fund his own approach to AGI (see www.rni.org)

However, to a large extent I feel this guy got lucky (as well as of course
being highly talented, intelligent, hardworking, etc.)

I'm taking the approach of trying to create wealth via software startup
companies, at the same time as pursuing the Singularity via trying to create
superhuman AGI. It's not at all easy -- basically, it's like doing more
than two full-time jobs at once (the startup business job plus the AGI job,
and each of them is a more than full time job). It's a hard path, but an
exciting one, and I don't regret it because I feel it's better than the
alternatives of

a) working on my software biz hoping to someday make enough $$ to fund AGI
work, or

b) working on AGI research on my own and giving up hope of marshalling
adequate resources

c) returning to academia and struggling to convince conservative gov't
funding sources to give grants for AGI research

-- Ben G