Why I'm not more involved with academia

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 07:01:55 MDT

Jeff Medina wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell wrote: "IIRC, Eliezer is not allowed to put Ph.D.
> after his name. That pretty much rules out this avenue of approach."
>
> That absolutely *does not* rule out this avenue of approach.

Correct.

> Many
> respected journals and conferences in the relevant areas are
> blind-reviewed (such that the academic credentials of the author of
> the paper is made irrelevant, because the author's identity & other
> info is kept secret), and even among the many which are not quality
> submissions are never rejected or looked down upon simply due to the
> lack of a Ph.D. by the author.

Papers which are *not* blind-reviewed show a *decided* bias toward known,
prestigious researchers and institutions. That is *why* some journals are
blind-reviewed. Most aren't, and it doesn't help that other journals are
blind-reviewed if the one you want to target isn't. I've read studies
assessing the bias, but though I googled on "effectiveness of peer review"
I failed to track them down. I did find other interesting material
including, to pick an arbitrary example, a study by Rothwell and Martyn
(2000) showing that peer review in two neuroscience journals was not
reproducible; that is, agreement between reviewers is not significantly
greater than chance. My recollection is that this result is widespread in
studies of this kind. I include this tidbit by way of saying that
experimental study of peer review has produced surprising and alarming
results, so be sure to check out peer-reviewed studies of peer review
before praising its effectiveness.

(Rothwell PM, Martyn CN. Reproducibility of peer review in clinical
neuroscience. Is agreement between reviewers any greater than would be
expected by chance alone? Brain 2000;123:1964-9.)

This has nothing to do with the reason I don't write additional academic
papers. I just thought I'd mention it.

**

First, you'll note that I say "write additional papers". I allocated one
month in early 2002 to write "Levels of Organization in General
Intelligence" (LOGI) in the best academic style I could manage. It
actually took four months. Since then the draft has been online at
http://intelligence.org/LOGI/. In 2005 this paper will finally appear in
"Artificial General Intelligence", eds. Goertzel and Pennachin, to be
published by Springer-Verlag in 2005. (The three-year delay was for the
entire book, not my own paper; *I* turned in my homework on time.)

The fact that none of the people plaguing me to write papers have even
*noticed* "Levels of Organization in General Intelligence", speaking
instead as if I haven't written *any* papers, is indeed related to the
reason I am not more involved with academia.