Re: Why SIAI is a nonprofit

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 12:26:34 MDT

On Oct 23, 2004, at 8:53 AM, Ben Goertzel wrote:
> While I have not yet succeeded in getting rich nor in completing a
> superhuman AGI, I *am* succeeding in paying some clever folks to work
> on the
> Novamente AGI system via my AI-based startup businesses. That was my
> point,
> which is valid whether or not I ever get rich or ever succeed in
> creating a
> superhuman AGI (though I hope to do both!).
>
> I do think that others could follow this same sort of strategy. I
> believe
> for instance that James Rogers is doing so.

Yeah, I think it is a legitimate and very functional strategy under
some circumstances, but I wouldn't recommend it for many people doing
AGI research. What constitutes a good strategy varies quite a bit with
the experience, personality, and inclination of the individual. It
takes a fair amount of experience to have a reasonable shot at the
business strategy, and that is something that will be very difficult to
acquire from a standing start in a timely manner.

If getting things done fast is important, you kind of have to take
stock in what you have and can do as an individual and build a strategy
that exploits that to the extent possible. For many people, there will
be a lot of investment of time regardless. Choose the closest lever
and go for it.

j. andrew rogers