Re: The Future of Human Evolution

From: Aleksei Riikonen (aleksei@iki.fi)
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 08:32:23 MDT

Michael Wilson wrote:
> Aleksei Riikonen wrote:
>> So let's strive to build something FAIish and find out ;)

> That's the other siren song, at least for us implementers; the desire to
> try it and see. However impatience is no excuse for unnecessarily
> endangering extant billions and subjunctive quadrillions of lives

I agree that AGI projects should take Friendliness as seriously as SIAI
does, and by that closing remark of mine didn't mean to encourage any
impatient dabbling.

Meant to present building a FAI/FRPOP (which in practice for most of us
should IMO mean supporting SIAI) as the best strategy to move towards
finding an answer to the somewhat cosmological question I mentioned in my
post. (Assuming certain problems are cracked early enough -- otherwise the
Collective Volition framework will probably have to be replaced by
somethink simpler in implementation, it seems to me.)

--
Aleksei Riikonen - http://www.iki.fi/aleksei
Student of math and CS, University of Helsinki