Re: Human mind not Turing computable according to Eliezer?

From: Christian Szegedy (szegedy@or.uni-bonn.de)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 04:03:13 MDT

Marc Geddes wrote:

>... never believed the guy. It was clear to me even then that
>he was hopelessly confused. Penrose is confused about
>Godel's theorem and he's confused about levels of
>explanation.

I don't think Penrose needs me to defend him. However it is
quite clear that he is one of the brightest thinkers of the last
century. Even so, that a lot of people (including me) are
not convinced by his arguments about consciousness,
I think "hopelessly confused" is not the correct estimation
of his state of mind (to put it mildly).

>For instance he is mystified by the 'flow of time' and
>thinks that the laws of physics have to be changed to
>explain it, whereas in fact 'the flow of time' is a
>high-level concept emerging from the way humans view
>the world. Time does not exist at the physics level.

Thank you for hinting us how the world truly works, so that we
poor mortal fools can get a glimpse of true wisdom and do not
have to bother anymore.

It is nice to see that there are persons on this list that possess
perfect knowledge about the life, the universe and everything.