Re: Human mind not Turing computable according to Eliezer?

From: Christian Szegedy (szegedy@or.uni-bonn.de)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 12:27:47 MDT

Bill Hibbard wrote:

>But his argument depends on a property of Turing machines, namely
>the ability to do arithmetic with arbitrary integers, not shared
>by finite state machines. So his argument fails by assuming a
>capability that humans do not have.

No, he does not assume any capability. He *exhibits* a capability:
that you can decide something you are not supposed to be able to.

His argument is based on a proof by contradiction. It goes by:

1) Assume that your brain can be modeled by a Turing machine
     (This is true even if it is a finite state machine)

2) Let us consider the following problem that this TM cannot
    solve.

3) But, you can clearly solve it => Contradiction!!!

4) Since we had a contradiction, your brain cannot be modelled by a TM.

You cannot refute this line of argumentation by saying that our brain is
an FSM
changing his proof and say that the modified proof is flawed.

You must refute the *original proof*.