Re: Human mind not Turing computable according to Eliezer?

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 12:55:07 MDT

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 08:27:47PM +0200, Christian Szegedy wrote:
> His argument is based on a proof by contradiction. It goes by:
>

> 1) Assume that your brain can be modeled by a Turing machine
> (This is true even if it is a finite state machine)

Sorry, you can't make that leap. FSMs are strictly less powerful
than Turing machines, and if our brains can be modelled by TMs, they
can be modelled by FSMs (since they are finite). To have any
convincing power at all, you must show that the problem applies to
the least powerful thing that can be used to simulate our brains.

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"