RE: Human mind not Turing computable according to Eliezer?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 21:53:56 MDT

One more comment:

So, it's not true that Penrose misinterprets Godel's Theorem. Not at all.

What he does is to make physics hypotheses that are completely unmotivated
by any data in contemporary physics, or any theoretical ideas in
contemporary physics -- but are motivated *solely* by the consequences that
these physics hypotheses would have for the philosophy of mind. Not even
for cognitive psychology in terms of predicting the results of any
experiments on human beings -- purely for the philosophy of mind.

I think this is a pretty bad way to go about generating physics hypotheses.
My view is, if your philosophy of mind contradicts physics, probably it's
your philosophy that's wrong rather than the physics.

But in a sense, Penrose's hypothesis is legitimate science, in the sense
that Penrose would consider himself refuted if someone came up with

a) an elegant, unifying theory of quantum gravity, that did not involve
uncomputable entities
b) a detailed theory of neurodynamics in terms of the physics in a)

So his hypothesis is falsifiable, not by particular experiments but via the
conception of certain sorts of theories ;-)

-- Ben